Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lightened-Up Chicken Francese


In my search for a delicious, yet light, chicken dish, I came across this one. The chicken was moist and tender and very tasty.  Made with much less butter and egg whites only. Tasted better than I thought it would.  With it, I was going to make broccoli and orzo, but I had to improvise since I thought I had orzo in my pantry, but didn't. So, I whipped up some yellow rice and beans ... and made broccoli and garlic in the oven. It was a delicious, well-balanced, and very light dinner!

Ingredients Needed: (8 servings)
  • 8 thinly-cut chicken cutlets
  • 1/4 cup (approximate) unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup egg whites, beaten (I used 4 jumbo eggs)
  • juice of one large lemon
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced thin
  • 2/3 cups white wine
  • 28 oz low-sodium chicken broth
  • cooking spray
  • salt and fresh pepper, to taste
  • fresh or dried parsley, to taste
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
 How to Make It:
  •  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
  • Place the flour in one bowl and the beaten egg whites in another.
  • Heat a very large non-stick pan over medium heat. When hot, spray bottom of pan with cooking spray.
  • Lightly flour the chicken, then dip in the egg whites. Add to the hot pan a few at a time.
  • Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. When cooked, transfer chicken onto a plate. Spray the pan again and repeat until all the chicken has been cooked.
  • Place chicken broth in a bowl with 2 tbsp flour and whisk.
  • Add to the pan, along with the juice of a lemon, white wine, lemon slices, parsley and butter.
  • Simmer over medium heat, about 4-5 minutes, until it reduces slightly and thickens.
  • Return chicken to pan and simmer, on very low heat, for about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
  Recipe from SkinnyTaste; Modified by Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment