Another light and delicious pasta dish I found that was so easy to make. If you can't find escarole, use swiss chard or fresh spinach. Turkey sausage can also be used instead of chicken sausage ... and you don't need to get the "hot & spicy" variety if you don't want to. This meal is delicious hot AND cold!!
- 1 lb penne pasta (regular, whole grain or whole wheat)
- 2-3 tbsp good olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Hot & Spicy Italian chicken sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 medium head escarole, rinsed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano & Romano cheese
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in large pot of salted water. Reserve 1 cup of the water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. When hot, add onions, garlic and red pepper.
- Season with a little salt and fresh pepper.
- Cook until soft; about 5-7 minutes.
- Add sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and cook until golden brown; about 7-8 minutes.
- Add escarole. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Remove cover, stir and cook another 2-3 minutes until escarole is wilted.
- Add cooked pasta, reserved water and grated Parmigiano-Romano cheese.
- Toss well and serve.
Recipe from SkinnyTaste; modified by Claudia