This amazing recipe was passed down to me by my wonderful mother. Sadly, Mama Bracco passed away on January 29, 2013, but so many of her delicious recipes live on through me ... and I'm definitely passing them down to my children! Lots of garlic, milk and potatoes make this spinach dish a great side for so many meat, pork, chicken and fish dishes!! Go on ... try it!!!!
Ingredients Needed (for 4 servings):
- 2 pkgs frozen, chopped spinach (prepared according to package directions and drained well)
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp whole wheat unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tbsp grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and broken up into chunks
- 1 good pinch of salt (I eyeball it, but I'd say it's roughly 1 tsp)
- freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a fairly large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and stir immediately, being very careful NOT to burn the garlic! I stir it for maybe 10-15 seconds.
- Add the breadcrumbs and spinach and stir well.
- Pour in the milk and 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano cheese. Stir. Cook over medium heat until most of the milk is reduced. It should have a creamy, not watery, consistency.
- Add chunks of potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir well. Don't use too much salt! Rather, add about 1 teaspoon of salt and then add more, if necessary, after you have tasted it. Remember ... you can always ADD salt, but you can't REMOVE it!!!!
- Let cook over medium to low heat until all of the milk has been incorporated; about 10-15 minutes. Again, the end result should be CREAMY, not WATERY!! Stir frequently! You don't want the spinach to stick or, worse yet, burn.