This kid-pleasing, creamy broccoli cheese soup recipe is ready in no time and tastes exactly like the one you get at Panera! Just be SURE to follow the recipe EXACTLY! Any deviation from the recipe will result in different consistencies and overall flavor. Make sure you have some warm, crusty bread on hand, too!!
Ingredients Needed: (for 4 servings)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 cup carrots, julienned or shredded
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (use the best brand you can find)
- salt & pepper to taste
- crusty bread
- Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Can be puréed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!