This is a quick, easy and delicious pasta recipe that can be made in 30 minutes or less! Creamy mustard sauce, fragrant basil and either sweet or hot chicken sausage create this quick pasta supper with warm, mildly-spicy flavors.
- 1 lb penne or medium shells (I use whole grain pasta)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 hot or sweet Italian chicken sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.